Carville, United States
Carville, founded in 1894 and officially closed in 1999, is still home to two people who had been diagnosed with leprosy and sent there decades ago. In 1921, the first and only national treatment and research center in the United States for leprosy was established at Carville. Two different medications, successfully used to treat leprosy were pioneered here. Carville is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
photo Courtesy U.S. Natonal Library of Medicine