Hôtel-Dieu Saint-Joseph de Tracadie, New Brunswick, Canada
Established in 1849, the original lazaretto* underwent several transformations and named Hôtel-Dieu Saint Joseph de Tracadie in 1868 with the arrival of the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph who reorganized it into a hospital. The facility closed in 1965 after 117 years of service. All of the original buildings have been demolished or were destroyed by fire throughout the years.
In 1968 the Historical Museum of Tracadie was established to preserve the important history of this facility. The Hôtel -Dieu Saint-Joseph de Tracadie received a Federal Heritage Designation for a National Historical Event in 1992 for its facilities that served as a lazaretto.
*Lazaretto is the historical term used in Canada at the time, for a place where people diagnosed with leprosy were sent to be treated.
photo: The cemetery for individuals who had leprosy and lived at the hospital.
photo by Henry Law